Monday, November 29, 2010

Dog Training Journal Entry

We are continuing to work on the waiting before the dogs walk through doors. It gives them the chance to calm down and listen to me. In the past we had anxious barks which just got louder and louder. In the past I always tried to hurry to get the annoying behaviors over with. I would hurry up and let them out the door quickly. Now I make the dogs wait before exiting. If they pull on the leash we stop. If they try to pull me to the car I stop. There may be a few behaviors you want them to do quickly but for the most part take your time when training. It's not a competition and it's training that can last a lifetime, so don't hurry through it.

Some of the best things that have worked for me is keeping it positive and take your time. Even if you have to wait for 15 - 20 minutes at the door until your dog settles down it's worth it. Waiting is not just for your canine it's also for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment