Monday, February 8, 2010

Going Back to the Basics

I'm trying to organize my training. I have a tendency to find something and want to do it without really spending time to develope the behavior fully. Seeing something new makes me want to try it right away like it will be something magical that will work perfectly.

In the book The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson, she divides the last chapters into training sections. We are going to start at the beginning with sit. All the dogs know the command sit but we want to take it to the next level. I want to proof the behavior, so that it can be acheived reliably ever time in different situations with different distractions.

It's easy to get a sit when your in a quiet house with nothing moving around. But can you get the same response in a crowd of people or with the neighbors dog barking. My goal with working on making the command and response more precise that the dogs will learn to focus on me to get their information and not get distracted by other things going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment