Friday, August 20, 2010

Dog Training In The Car

Daisy took a little ride to the park tonight. My daughter wanted to play at the park and I took the opportunity to train Daisy. We didn't even get out of the car for training because I wanted to start out slow. With the windows rolled down she was able to hear all the people outside. Strangers stress her out and she becomes aggressive. The aggression is the worst at home because she is more protective of her territory.

She did well with seeing children running around and not reacting. The stress started when they came to close to the car. They could be four feet away and that was still to close for her. I don't think we could have gotten out of the car without a snarling episode. I am hoping if we can keep driving and exposing her to people walking close to the car she will learn to remain calm and then maybe we could take it a step farther.

Daisy has what I call the McDonalds phenomenon. Any time we go through the drive thru she never barks or becomes stressed out with strangers passing out great smelling food. I believe it is the smell that keeps her calm. If they walked up to my car in the parking lot they would see a totally different personality emerging. Maybe I should make a McDonald's smelling cologne and anyone who comes to visit has to spray it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment