Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bailey's Training Progress

I discovered another great article from Shirley Chong. She is somehow affiliated to Sue Ailsby because she has the article about leading the dance written by Sue. I found this article interesting because she breaks down come into steps. One of the first steps is to start in the bathroom with come. It's similar to the way you charge a clicker the first time you use it with a dog. You say the word -  Come - click and reward.

She also has a good article that breaks down the steps of a retrieve. I started Bailey off with a dumbell toy. The toy was behind my back and then I would show her the toy. Any interest she showed in the toy would get a click and we progressed to opening her mouth on the toy. I have been leaving the treats in front of her while we work as Zen practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment