Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 11 With Puppy Training

We worked on teaching the target command. This command can be used to further lure your dog to do other behaviors. It is probably the simplest command to teach and all you need is your hand. Put your hand in front of your dogs nose and dog's will naturally sniff your hand when they do just click then treat. You want your dog to get to the point that they will touch your hand on command. After a few tries add the word "touch" and click then treat when the dog touches your hand.

We will have to try tomorrow to see if she retained the information but with such a good start It will be no problem if we have to take a couple steps back. Amelia was able to get to the point where I could hold my hand far away and she would come to my hand and touch it with her nose. I tried to get her to shape a behavior. I wanted her to pick up the bowl on command. But she never quite got the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment