Thursday, February 17, 2011

Teach Your Dog To Leave It

Bailey loves to train and tonight we added leave it to her growing repetoire of behaviors. I simply held some food in a closed hand and when she looked away from my hand I clicked and dropped the food to the floor. I did it a couple times with my hand open also. We will work up to placing it on the floor and telling her to leave it.

She is very attentive to me already and I am hoping it is the training that is making a difference. This is the first time I have tried to train a small puppy from such a young age. I wish I would have had this knowledge back when Tanner was a puppy. I think he could have been a great companion. I find it hard to stop some behaviors that he has been doing for years. With Bailey I feel like we have a clean slate to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment