Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Teaching The Touch Command

Every day I add a new behavior to Bailey's repertoire. The only command she has down pat is sit. She knows crate but sometimes I have to point inside it to get her to go in. Down is accomplished with luring. She is already showing that she knows how to think. I tested her with the word down and she turned around to look at the crate like she was trying to figure out what she was supposed to do. It's amazing how you can teach such a small creature already.

With a hand already smelling like chicken I taught her the touch command. The chicken smell was enough to bring her nose to my hand earning her a click. I think this may be one of the easiest commands to teach.

She shows some anxiety when you leave her alone even with the other dogs which may cause problems later but I'm hoping that with early training that I will be able to successfully communicate stopping the behaviors before they start.

No comments:

Post a Comment